03 October 2023

Another Small Step.

Allegro risoluto (“resolved to be cheerful?”) …
Have yourself a superspreader Christmas,
make your neighbors pay,
who cares what those heathen doctors have to say?
Porridger’s Almanack (Breakfast of Ganglions)

I know, I know: you’re a woman who’s been getting nothing but dirty breaks.
Well, we can clean and tighten your brakes,
but you’ll have to stay in the garage all night.

— Groucho Marx, Monkey Business


In January 2020, as reported here, I composed a lullaby for the newborn child of my friends Stéphanie and Jonathan, Pour la petite Joséphine, for flute and harp. I have a guitarist friend in the area, Aaron Larget-Caplan, who maintains an open concern, The New Lullaby Project. I pretty much immediately reached out to Aaron for his opinion on whether it would adapt as easily as I hoped it might, for guitar. He thought it ought but did not have time then to dig in, though he made me welcome to send anything, as I suggested I might have a go at it. I finally did, a week-ish ago (i.e. three years plus later) and sent the result, noting that I shouldn't be surprised if further adjustment were needed. I should add that another friend, Peter Bloom, suggested substituting bass flute, so the adaptation-in-progress for Aaron is in fact bass flute and guitar.

Separately: a performance of Stravinsky’s playful Greeting Prelude in honor of the late Louis Andriessen’s 70th birthday.

No comments: