01 October 2023

Thinking October 2024

I am slightly surprised at the ease with which I am reconciled to the fact that “provolone” will never be an anagram of “envelope.” … Listening to Prosciutto.
Porridger’s Almanack (Breakfast of Ganglions)

Finish every day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities crept in. Forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you should begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

— Ralph Waldo Emerson

As noted in this post, I began thinking about repertory for the Henning Ensemble beyond the present April 2024 date at King’s Chapel. I began the process of adapting both Down Along the Canal to Minerva Road and Jazz for Nostalgic Squirrels for C flute, alto flute, bass clarinet and double-bass for an as-yet-hypothetical October 2024 date. (I shan’t broach the question this side of regearsing for 16 April.) Mostly juggling things around, and a start on the necessary chromatic spelling clean-up and registral adjustments. Time passed. More time than I meant to leave this task in limbo (although, to be sure, there is no need as yet to have the music ready to send to the group.) I resumed the work today, including addressing some passages which seemed to me too rapidly noodling for the bass clarinet in the Jazz. I also expanded both pieces slightly with an insertion or two. The Opp. 117a and 149a thus deviate somewhat from their respective originals, and why not?


No comments: