29 July 2024

Remembering Ray

 

In September of 2015, my band director and first clarinet instructor, Ray Heller passed away. Ray was a warm, generous soul, and an incomparable musical inspiration to me at a formative age. Afterwards I attended a memorial concert given by the Rutherford Community Band in the Rutherford High School auditorium. Ray referred me to my first “extramural” clarinet teacher, Erl Nordstrom, and encouraged/shepherded me to audition for Regional and All-State Bands and the All-State Orchestra. He enlisted me to play saxophone in the school Stage Band and welcomed me to play in the Community Band. I therefore enjoyed hours and hours of musical participation, as well as teamwork in tearing down stands and chairs after the summer Concerts in the Park after which labors we were rewarded with an ice cream soda at Carvell's.



No comments: