02 August 2024

A New Way to be Un-Hip

The Newness of the Gnus
Turducken in Metuchen?
A Looter in the Bodega of Love
Consider the pluot. What a wonderful world ... we now have a fruit whose name is an anagram for a planet. High time, really.
Porridger’s Almanack (Breakfast of Ganglions)

Peter Falk: “Are you sure the police didn’t follow you here?”
Marsha Mason: “I’m positive. They came with me.”

— An awkward exchange in Neil Simon’s The Cheap Detective

Yet another piece I have written which has yet to see a performance is Music for the Un-Hip Hop. Originally for two flutes (Op. 178) and subsequently adapted for two violins (Op. 178a)Multi-instrumentalist Dan Zupan, one of two new recruits for the k a rl h e nn i ng Ensemble, has most gratifyingly acquired something of an appetite for Henningmusick, and asked me to send parts and scores for sundry duos, a request with which I gladly complied. A subsequent effect is that today, I’ve adapted the Hop yet again now for flute and clarinet (Op. 178b).



No comments: