17 September 2026

Program for 28 October

One of the most poignant things about watching Independence Day is: the Towers yet stood.
Porridger’s Almanack (Breakfast of Ganglions)

I’m sorry, I did not create the Cosmos, I merely explain it.
— Mel Ferrer, in A Midsummer Night’s Sex Comedy

For one reason or another, uncertainty has hung over this projected concert for so long, that I devised no fewer than three possible programs. No matter: now that we are officially a quintet for the Library, the program will fulfill my two key wishes: a reprise of the Op. 197 Fantasia on a Theme by Rahsaan Roland Kirk, and the première of Simple Music, the piece I specifically composed for this season. Given our Dan’s sabbatical, it was necessary (but not at all difficult) to modify the scoring.

Music, Simple and Otherwise

Karl Henning (1960) Magnificat a 4 (2006) Full Ensemble (3:30)
Frank Warren (1950) Three Notions of Love & Ruin, Op. 50 (2025) Alto Flute & Bassoon (4:00)
Henning, Simple Music, Op. 205a Full Ensemble (première) (10:00)
Dennis Báthory-Kitsz (1949) Just Another Love Song (2025) C Flute, Alto Flute & Bassoon (4:00)
Warren, Passacalyawhatever, Op. 116 (première) C Flute, Alto Flute & Bassoon (6:00)
Henning, One for Ahmad, Op. 208b C Flute, Full Ensemble (première) (4:00)
Henning Cape of Good Nope, Op. 206 Full Ensemble (première) (6:00)
Henning Fantasia on a Theme by Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Op. 197a (2025) Full Ensemble (8:30)
Total Duration: 46:00

Peter H Bloom, C Flute, Alto Flute
Todd Brunel, Soprano Clarinet, Bass Clarinet
Carol Epple, C Flute
Greta Rosen, Bassoon
Dave Zox, Double-Bass


 

No comments: