14 December 2017

Day 2 of The 13 Days of Zappaness, 2017 Edition

Not too proud to admit that the first I knew of the mad, sweet musical powers of Eric Dolphy, was the track on Weasels Ripped My Flesh (thanks to Scott Deveaux), “The Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue.” (Is it an event? A dish?)

Similarly, the sliver of moonlight which guided my sight to the luminous orb . . . well, there’s another simile that has run off wildly on its own.  I start again.

When in the Long Dark of Buffalo, I whimsically purchased the CD Broadway the Hard Way, and the cover which the band played of “Stolen Moments” was my first awareness of the 1961 Oliver Nelson album, Blues and the Abstract Truth, featuring (among others) Eric Dolphy.

And so, for today:

Day 2, “Stolen Moments” (from Broadway the Hard Way)

No comments: