11 February 2011

Funny Business

. . . no longer young enough to pillage the night to make up for the deficit of hours in the day.
— J.R.R. Tolkien


Funny business, though far from actual rannygazoo . . .

I’ve been taking thought for my St Paul’s date, Wednesday, 18 May. Hoping to be able to organize the second performance (first performance of the complete piece, really) of Castelo dos anjos. With the fine singers I’ve fortunately chosen, I should transpose it by the interval of a third, to make it a bit easier on the alto . . . so there’s a task wants doing.

I’m also starting to think about a trio for alto flute, clarinet & cello . . . which, whenever I actually get to work on it, will be the first composing I shall have done since either late October or early November.

But, I’ve been asked by St Paul’s if I can change my date. So, no sooner had I gotten four people to agree to the 18th, than I find myself asking if they’d much mind the 19th, instead. Which is no catastrophe . . . just an exercise in repositioning a mobile, with the kind graces of fine colleagues.

No comments: