27 September 2023

Lighter Heavy Metal? Nylon Maiden

No one will make you smile in quite the way a younger brother does when he writes, “I have a knack for making the women in my life angry with me, but I’ve reached new heights.”
Porridger’s Almanack (Breakfast of Ganglions)

Flatulence was “part of our discovering the true West.”

— Mel Brooks, on a famous scene from Blazing Saddles

Whether wuthering or windy, in the wake of the remnants of the recent hurricane, I’ve been randomly revisiting the DVDs from the Genesis boxes: It’s not that Wind and Wuthering is my least favorite Genesis album, exactly. It’s not an album I generally think, “Gee, I want to listen to that one.” Let’s say that it's an album with nine tracks, three of which are among my least favorite Genesis tracks. If that means that I owe Tony Banks an apology, I shall certainly consider it. This sub-conscious consideration seems really to work to the album’s disadvantage. The pity of that is that the tracks which I do like on the album, I really like. And what is more, I’ve just discovered that I like “Blood on the Rooftops” and “Wot, Gorilla?” much better than I remembered them.


No comments: