07 May 2013

Just thinking, really, so far

Conventional Cooking Directions:
  1. Empty packet into bowl […]
 
Unconventional Cooking Directions:
  1. Place bowl atop head
  2. Toss packet in air
  3. Attempt to catch in bowl atop head, before packet comes to earth
 
My recent just-before-shuteye music has been Louis Couperin harpsichord solo works. Not surprisingly, I owe my awareness of this composer to friend Paul Cienniwa. At some point, I had the notion of writing an extended harpsichord solo piece, but I think it will be some while before Paul needs such a piece from me (if needs be le mot juste).
 
That idea has not sat idle on a back mental shelf, though; it’s jumped a neuron as a result of my getting back in touch with an old mate from Buffalo, who asked for a new piano piece.
 
So the current compositional foment between my ears is not only the piece for soprano and clarinet, but an extended piano solo work, When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy.
 

No comments: