Seen on the Internet: You do not need a parachute to skydive. You need a parachute to skydive twice.
— Porridger’s Almanack (Breakfast of Ganglions)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
— Stephen Jay Gould
Today I finished the third of the Op. 211 Simple Preludes. I had to start over twice, until I reminded myself that my rubric for these pieces is: If I don’t know where the material wants to go, it’s probably not simple enough. I cast bot hands on treble clef, as my intention at the outset was to borrow material for the C Flute/Alto Flute duet, Illusions I Can Live With. How many Simple Preludes will I wind up writing? Not sure. Maybe I stop at three? We shall see.

No comments:
Post a Comment