Music is no different from opium.
— The Ayatollah Khomeini
. . . he makes the sound that beards make
when used for straining soup.
— Viv Stanshall (of the Bonzo Dog Doo/Dah Band),
“My Brother Makes the Noises for the Talkies”
Started the blog a year ago today. In this time, I have newly composed:
- stars & guitars for bass flute & harp
- two pieces for cello ensemble, Marginalia & Après-lullaby
- two pieces for flute & clarinet duo, Heedless Watermelon & All the Birds in Mondrian’s Cage
I have arranged:
- Lutosławski’s Lullaby for cello ensemble
- Heedless Watermelon for viola & cello
. . . and made modifications to the trumpet original of The Angel Who Bears a Flaming Sword.
I’ve made a good start on a new orchestral piece.
I’ve played four recitals, and have a fifth scheduled shortly.
Lux Nova Press have prepared editions of Out in the Sun and Bless the Lord, O My Soul.
Perhaps the blog is a success, perhaps the blog is not much of a success. However that question may hang, I’m pleased with my music-making this year, and pleased to have it reflected on the blog. I shall consider that success enough at present.